The following are some items we will eventually need. While it is not necessary to have any or all of these items at our first meeting, it is helpful.
- Photos: several recent, one favorite (for memorial ideas and 150 favorites for a Cinema Life Tribute).
- Paperwork: Social Security number, date/place of birth, parents’ and survivors’ full names and their spouse and military service records (if applicable).
- Clothing deceased would wear on a daily basis: including undergarments, socks/hosiery, jewelry, lapel pin, watch, rosary, glasses, cologne, lipstick, nail polish, etc.
If the funeral has been prearranged, please bring the funeral planning paperwork including the thoughtful decision guide and Insurance Policy forms. Many of the items above will be specified and we can talk about them at our meeting.
Some religious traditions dictate funeral timing; others have no parameters. While natural instinct pushes us to have funerals soon after a death occurs, we see a dramatic difference between families who rush to plan and complete a funeral in a few days and those who take more time to consider how to celebrate their loved ones’ lives. With many details to coordinate, families who take the time to think through decisions are able to plan more meaningful funerals and they themselves seem more relaxed. Lake Ridge Chapel & Memorial Designers will help in any way possible no matter what your time frame may be.
This is a partial list of the decisions and tasks family members are faced with upon the death of a loved one. Many families find it beneficial to make some of the decisions ahead of time.
- doctor or coroner
- funeral home
- cemetery/memorial location
- financial organizations
- insurance companies
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- volunteer, church, union, fraternal organizations
Accurate information of:
- volunteer organizations
- social security number
- date and place of birth, citizenship
- parents’ full names and maiden names
- relatives’ maiden and married names
- close friends’ names
- birth certificate
- marriage license
- veteran’s discharge papers
- death certificate
- insurance policies
- bank/credit card accounts
- investment accounts
- deeds to property
- agent authorizing form
- professional services
- clothing, undergarments, shoes
- final placement of jewelry
- burial or cremation
- open or closed casket
- casket or urn and keepsake selection
- cemetery or memorial location
- cemetery plot, vault or mausoleum
- monument or marker and wording
- type of service (religious, fraternal, secular or other)
- clergy involvement
- Memorial Folders
- eulogy or special speaker
- seating arrangements
- obituary wording and publications
- special readings, biblical passages
- pictures and other memorabilia
- Cinema Life Tribute
- charity to receive memorial gifts
- release: environmentally safe balloons, butterflies or doves
- child care
- pet care
- out of town guest arrangements
Location, date, time and agenda of:
- private family viewing
- post-funeral gathering and menu